Splinters of history

* the first written record of existence or the year of foundation if known


(In 1349 established as a parish village to St. Margaret´s Church) – in 1874 a first post office opened in the village; since August 18, 1897 connected with the world by railway


(* 1016) - The original settlement burnt down and was built again in the shape of a horseshoe; in the 14th century village promoted to a town status and granted an emblem and certain town privileges.

Dolni Ujezd

(* 1167, orig. Újezd) - The first settlement documented by excavations of ceramics dated to 12th century; in 1680 the village became a centre of the serfs' rebellion against the Litomyšl aristocracy


(* 13th century) - A typical "road" village whose name refers to graceful firs surrounding the village.


(* 1347, orig. Blumenau) - Formerly owned by Litomyšl Bishopric who built a neo-Romanesque church here.


(* 11th century, in 1259 promoted to the town status by Přemysl Otakar II.) - The town was built around the original castle (mentioned in the Cosmas Chronicles of 981), its history was later closely related to the monastery built in 12th century and the LitomyšlBishopric established in 14th century; during 16th century the castle was rebuilt into a Rennaisance chateau and the order of piarists established a new college and built a cathedral; Bedřich Smetana, the famous composer, was born in the chateau brewery in 1824.


(* 1167) - The name derived from the surrounding woods producing plenty of wood for thin bended stripes of wood ("luby"); a glass foundry existing here in 19th century


(* 1110) - Until the end of 19th century famous weaving tradition; "Černý potok" creek propelled 4 water-mills and 3 sawmills.


(* 1265, founded by Přemysl Otakar II.) - The rich history of the town encompasses both periods of prosperity and falls caused by destructive fires and enemy troops; as a dowry town Polička enjoyed various privileges since 14th century; it was paved, there were strong fortification walls built round the town and a Gothic Town Hall was constructed in the centre of the square (later rebuilt in Baroque style); Baroque was the Golden Age of the Polička's townspeople; in 1890 famous composer Bohuslav Martinů was born in the tower of St. James's Church.


(* 1265, orig. Limberk until 1951) - An agriculture village owned by several owners, namely by the knights of Leewendorf (Limberk); remnants of an ancient stronghold.


(* 13th century) - The name of the village is derived from the fact that it was settled by the people "collected" (sebraní) from the wide area; in 1951 two other villages and two small settlements were attached to Sebranice.

Siroky Dul

(* 1269) - A Gothic Church built in 14th century


(* 13th century) - A village of the same name as the local early-Gothic castle founded by Přemysl Otakar II to protect the trade route; the village suffered from passing of military troops involved in various crusades: Jan Žižka's siege of the Svojanov Castle in 1421, Sweden Crusade of 1642 – 1645, Peasants' Ride of 1646 and the campaign of the Russian troops against Napoleon in 1798.


(* 13th century) – A parochial district established in 1403; in 1601 there was a salt storehouse.